Friday, January 13, 2012

HNY to you, too

HNY, a friend signed off her email. HNY? What's that? I wondered.

Since I traded my office as a public relations agency executive for an office in my house where I write in relative solitude, I often feel completely out of it when it comes to the latest trends. My writing genre choices don't help - a memoir about my childhood in the 1950s and now historical fiction set in the early 1900s.

These days I spend my time trying to put my head in an era without electricity, a time when horse and buggies were the most common conveyance, a time when a 'glimpse of stocking' was something shocking. It takes a concerted effort to strip away all allusions to electricity, air travel, and sex. Actually, sex is all allusion, so that's a different issue.

One of the things I always enjoyed about working in the public relations world was being on top of the current pop business phrases - "tipping point" and "at the end of the day," for instance.

Alas, I find myself slipping further and further behind. The 2012 Banished Words List actually includes words I still like and use, like "Amazing!" It does not help that I don't use a smart phone. I have a cell phone, but I seldom use it. My texting ability is limited to 'ok.' And I sometimes get that wrong.

Perhaps Twitter will help. I'm trying it out - @CABodensteiner. For someone who is challenged to write short blogs, having only 140 characters forces me to abbreviate.  Twitter demands I keep one toe in the 21st Century.

Hence my problem with HNY. All of a sudden, people are signing off seasonal messages with HNY. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that meant Happy New Year.

Oh well. HNY to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. Carol - Your post today really resonnated with me! I recently purchased an iphone so I am more connected with the texting language. However, a short time ago I was the program chair for our calligraphy guild. A member emailed the list of participants using "text" abbreviations...only I didn't realize that. After searching the calligraphy directory for over thirty minutes searching for "LMK", I had to write her and ask "Who is LMK?". I now understand LMK (Let me know) and LOL (Laugh out Loud). Until you wrote what HNY meant....I wouldn't have guessed that! Perhaps there should be a special dictionary just for us so we can be connected or rent a grandkid for the afternoon to get up to speed! Thanks for the post LOL Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many possible meanings for abbreviations. A Des Moines Register columnist wrote about a list for old geezers in this morning's paper. It was funny enough, but I bet it was even funnier if you know what the abbreviations meant to young people! I'll have to post on that, too.

    ReplyDelete